Showing posts with label Nigeria. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Nigeria. Show all posts

Feb 18, 2017

JAMB announces that the 2017 UTME to hold in May


The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) have announced that the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) will hold in May 2017.

Mr. Fabian Benjamin JAMB spokesperson, made this know through the Board’s Twitter handle @jambhq

Mr Fabian stated that candidates should be patient as the actual dates will be soon be announced. He also advised that candidates should be beware of false dates, forms and fraudsters as some forms were sold earlier this year but the culprits have been arrested.

Meanwhile, JAMB registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede has explained why an unusual delay has preceded the sales of application forms.

Oloyede said: “We are changing the major trust of the sale which is the scratch card. Candidates used to buy scratch cards to access the forms online and that has been abused thoroughly.

“What we want to do is for students to pay directly to government coffers and we are working out the process of doing so to avoid the type of abuse that it has been subjected to. So, we want to sell directly and to make sure that candidates pay into TSA account.”

Feb 13, 2017

Senate begins first ever public hearing on 2017 budget

The Senate and House of Representatives Committees on Appropriations will today begin a three-day detailed public hearing on the 2017 budget.

The public hearing is intended to assist efforts towards improving transparency in the budgetary process, by making it all inclusive.

Some of the 59 stakeholders expected to submit memoranda include the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udo Udoma, Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, Minister of Transport, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, Minister of Agriculture, Chief Audu Ogbeh, Central Bank Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, the Nigeria Labour Congress, Trade Union Congress, Civil Societies, and other groups.

Presentations at the hearing are expected to focus on the basic recommendations and budget policies of the president as contained in the budget speech by the president, and the fiscal, financial and economic assumptions used as basis in arriving at total estimated expenditure and receipts.

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara, at resumption from the Christmas and New Year Break, had pledged to ensure that the 2017 budget process is transparent.

[Source: Vanguard]

COURT ADJOURNS PATIENCE JONATHAN’S $15M SUIT


Feederal High Court sitting in Lagos on Monday adjourned to March 6 the suit filed by former first lady, Patience Jonathan, seeking to un-freeze her bank accounts.

Mrs. Jonathan had filed the suit suing the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) after the agency froze the bank accounts containing a total of $15 million.

Not only is she sking for an un-frozen abnk account, she is also demanding $200 million as damages.

The judge adjourned the matter based on requests from the defence counsel seeking more time to study the case.

TRUMP TO CALL BUHARI TODAY

Goffrey York, African Correspondent for the The Globe and Mail says US president Donald Trump will on Monday speak with President Muhammadu Buhari over the phone.


If this tweet is really authentic the call would be made by 3:45pm (Nigerian time).

According to York, “Today is “Africa day” for Donald Trump. He speaks by phone to Nigerian president Buhari at 3:45 pm (Lagos time); then speaks to Jacob Zuma.

Feb 6, 2017

President Muhammadu Buhari has extended his 10-day vacation

President Muhammadu Buhari has extended his 10-day vacation in the United Kingdom and has written to inform the National Assembly.

The National Assembly received a statement from the Presidency today informing them of President Buhari’s desire to extend his 10-day leave indefinitely.

Part of the letter reads: “The President had planned to return to Abuja this evening (Sunday), but was advised to complete the test cycle before returning.

“The notice has since been dispatched to the Senate President, and Speaker, House of Representatives. Mr President expresses his sincere gratitude to Nigerians for their concern, prayers and kind wishes.”

[See Full letter afer the cut]

Feb 3, 2017

15,000 youths to welcome President Buhari from vacation – NYCN


The National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) says it has mobilised no fewer than 15,000 Nigerian youths to welcome President Muhammadu Buhari at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja, from vacation.

Twitter Facebook